[nycphp-talk] ORM anyone?

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Thu Sep 13 10:50:24 EDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Kenneth Downs wrote:

> ... We accept the obligation
> to learn HTML, CSS and Javascript, and even a few things about HTTP
> headers and so forth, but we think it is optional to learn SQL and to
> treat the database as what it is.  That really puzzles me.  The only
> explanation I can come up with is people must be using really simple
> databases so that the inefficiencies at large table counts just never
> show up.

OR

I think what you're saying here kind of proves my point. HTML and CSS are
easy to learn no matter if you're a programmer or not. And in the OOP
world, JavaScript, Ruby, Python, C++, Java are all similar enough that
most programmers will find the learning curve fairly shallow. Learning
about database design, normalization and SQL is outside of both of those
worlds.

Im not saying this is right or wrong, or that everything must be done
with an ORM layer always, but you can see where the friction gets
introduced. This is why, for example, migrations exist in Ruby on Rails.

--
Aj.