[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu Apr 17 10:45:25 EDT 2008

To clarify two things re: the below response:

1.  I most definitely DO NOT WANT TO LEGISLATE pay scales for
programmers (not even sure where anyone got the idea that I did!).  I
feel we need to improve the SOCIAL STATUS of the field, so that market
rates increase in and of themselves.

2.  I cannot "quit my job and find another one", because I'm self
employed.  Me is counting on me to show up for work!! :)

-- Kristina

--------------------

> "I want to be a programmer.  I just want to get paid what my skills
> are WORTH as a programmer."
>
> As a hobby economist I have to respond to this one. :D
>
> It sounds to me like you'd like to legislate what you're worth. That
> approach causes even more problems than it solves because it means a
> lot of people who could be employed at lower rates will now be
> unemployable, period. We are all worth what the market says we're
> worth. If demand for talented developers is high, and supply is low
> (as I've seen here in NYC) then you'll be paid handsomely. If demand
> is low, and supply is high, then you'll be paid very little.
>
> If you believe you are worth more than you're currently getting - than
> quit! Find another job that pays you what you're looking for. I know
> from experience that there are 100k+ jobs out there for *good* PHP
> developers (granted, it's my personal belief that it takes a little
> more than just developer skills to hit that mark, but they *are* out
> there).
>
> Dictating by government fiat what a "programmer" should make only
> exacerbates the problem by leaving all those sub-par developers out in
> the cold - completely unemployable in their industry. With that
> prospect, average developers will never even have the chance to become
> above-average.
>
> - Brian D.
>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Kristina Anderson
> <ka at kacomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> > Tom, like a lot of the folks on this list, I'm a PHP programmer
> >  developing internet applications (coding forms, building MySQL
> >  databases, meeting with clients to determine requirements, etc.
etc.).
> >  I've been doing this (in different languages and platforms) for 10
> >  years and in PHP for the past 2 years (and love PHP!).  I do this
for a
> >  living because I like doing it, I'd probably be better off in
> >  retirement if I went to law school in the near future but I don't
want
> >  to do this.  I want to be a programmer.  I just want to get paid
what
> >  my skills are WORTH as a programmer.
> >
> >  I'd love to charge my clients more.  And I've recently gotten wise
> >  opportunities where clients are able to offer me part ownership of
> >  startups in addition to hourly consulting rates.  But...I do think
that
> >  clients price things out and give bids to people who charge
reasonable
> >  rates.  There is a reason I get 90% of the projects I bid on.  If I
> >  asked for $100 an hour, that would be great, but $100 an hour for 0
> >  hours is, well....zero dollars.
> >
> >  As a self employed person I'd love to hear any real, usable
suggestions
> >  on how to increase income.  My network is great and I have tons of
> >  projects going, business is growing every day as I meet new
> >  people...but the market does price at a certain level and if I
start
> >  asking for more than people can afford, or more than others with my
> >  same skills are getting paid...I am not going to get hired.
> >
> >  Your libertarian jawflap about how Social Security is  "hurting
us" (I
> >  disagree) and how the market is totally open for me to charge
whatever
> >  I want are well...interesting theory and pretty typical politics
for a
> >  certain segment of the IT industry...but.  And saying I "look to
> >  others" to "solve my problems" is beyond a low blow, it's just too
> >  stupid a remark to even rebut.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >  Kristina
> >

> >  > Hi Kristina,
> >  >
> >  > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Kristina Anderson
> >
> > > <ka at kacomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> >  > > Tom --
> >  > >
> >  > >  The average corporate attorney makes $200K.  The average
attorney
> >  in
> >  > >  business for themselves makes about the same.  The average
CPA,
> >  about

> >  than
> >  > >  we do.
> >  >
> >  > I have what I consider to be more than average experience with
> >  > electricians and they are nice folks, but hardly what I'd call
on the
> >  > top of the "social status" scale and I would question what the
average
> >  > salary was, but I doubt your numbers.
> >  >
> >  > Really, I doubt your "average".  But it doesn't matter.  You
make what
> >  > you do because that is what you are willing to work for.
Suppose the
> >  > floor fell out of IT tomorrow (literally), and the going rate
for PHP
> >  > was $10 per hour.  Would you still do it?  Maybe for fun, but
not as a
> >  > job.  Why?  Because you won't work for that little.  You couldn't
> >  > survive.  But you can survive on $80K (or whatever), so you do
it.
> >  > When you decide that $80K isn't enough, you'll stop working for
that
> >  > much.
> >  >
> >  > >
> >  > >  The AVERAGE programmer makes, what, 80K if on salary?  (I'm
self
> >  > >  employed and the hourly rate I can get from the clients is
pretty
> >  > >  constricted by the market, and I'm trying to bust open that
100K
> >  > >  barrier but it won't be busted...I'm still on the losing end.)
> >  >
> >  > Look at your market.  The "big" consulting firms charge much
more and
> >  > pay their people much more.  How come they are getting it and
you are
> >  > not?  That's the question you need to ask.  You shouldn't be
looking
> >  > for protection from the marketplace, you should be looking for
ways to
> >  > excel in it.
> >  >
> >  > >
> >  > >  Come on, work with us.
> >  > >
> >  > I am, really!  I'm telling you to not look to others to solve
your
> >  > problem - it won't help.  Look at things Social Security and
pension
> >  > plans.  These systems put the burden on others - and they both
have
> >  > severe flaws which are hurting us now.
> >  >
> >  > Look at what you can do to excel.  How are your sales efforts
> >  > (speaking for myself in my experience as a consultant - I always
> >  > dreaded sales, but recently realized that it needs to be
embraced, not
> >  > feared)?  Professional networking?  Who is your customer?  Are
their
> >  > pockets deep enough?  Are you really taking advantage of your
> >  > expertise (are you doing graphics when you are really a DBA at
heart)?
> >  >  How can you get the work done faster?  Can you invest in tools
(store
> >  > bought or that you create) to help?  Invest in services?
People?  Can