[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu Apr 17 11:04:25 EDT 2008

Oh I assure you that I'm not "angry or whiny" and am completely
sincere, and also assure you that in NYC, secretaries DO make more than
46K...not sure why you found that "angry or whiny", it's simply a fact.

> Let's be intellectually honest Kristina,
>
> It's hard to take your emails with a dose of sincerity, when your
> scholarship seems random and a result of passion. Phrases like
> "Secretaries make more than this" and posting what you "feel" is the
> average income for a particular profession (without citation or
> reference), leads the reader to thinking you're angry or whiny.
>
> If however you are sincere, I do think that there is a particular
> paragraph in Tom's reply that should be of interest:
>
> -TOM MELENDEZ -
>  >Look at what you can do to excel. How are your sales efforts
> >  (speaking for myself in my experience as a consultant - I always
> >  dreaded sales, but recently realized that it needs to be embraced,
not
> >  feared)? Professional networking? Who is your customer? Are their
> >  pockets deep enough? Are you really taking advantage of your
> >  expertise (are you doing graphics when you are really a DBA at
heart)?
> >  How can you get the work done faster? Can you invest in tools
(store
> >  bought or that you create) to help? Invest in services? People? Can
> >  you reuse code? Are you tracking problems so that you don't make
the
> >  same mistake again?
>
> This paragraph reminds me of a book my friend recommended some time
ago, entitled, "What color is your parachute?". The whole concept is
not looking to an outside change, when sculpting your small business
growth, but looking at your inner development and maturation. And in so
doing, specific areas of personal growth will be obviously and easily
leveraged to grow your small business substantially. Then, hopefully,
it becomes a beautiful cycle of inner growth -> application -> business
growth -> inner growth

> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > The salary numbers on that site (46K for an accountant??
Secretaries
> > make more than this) seem way low, and I was moreso referring to
NYC