[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Apr 18 10:25:19 EDT 2008

At 1:46 PM -0600 4/17/08, Tim Lieberman wrote:
>Why people insist on on-site work is a bit beyond me.  If you're
>willing to pay well, you should be able to attract capable
>developers who can be trusted to work remotely.  If you want to hire
>a bunch of juniors to churn out hacks all day, and have someone
>supervise them, then it's probably worth it to have them on-site.
>But anyone with 5+ years solid development experience should be
>allowed to work how they work best.  That way, you get the best bang
>for you buck, IMO.

Ain't that the truth!

The product here is net-ware -- it's 100% digital and 100% accessible
by the world. Why anyone would want their product to be created at
some physical place is beyond me.

Perhaps it's the suit types who think that if they don't have an
employee under their thumb, the employee would goof-off like they
would if they had the chance -- I don't know. But typically, us geek
types like doing what we do and if left alone, we do it pretty well.
This stuff is both my livelihood and my passion. If I'm not being
paid for it -- I do it anyway (except for myself).

I've worked for myself for decades. Sure, I've been offered numerous
positions and have even considered a few, but two things happen
during the interview: 1) They want me to work on their windoze
machines, which I refuse to do -- I have my own system, a Mac, thank
you; 2) Once they find out I'm disabled, things change. Sure, one can
carry on about the ADA, but that's a bunch of nonsense that just
keeps government types employed. All business has to say is "I'm
sorry, but you wouldn't pass our health screening. And please don't
let the door hit your ass on the way out." But, that's topic for
another day.

The point being, our product is digital and as such should be allowed
to be created anywhere.

Cheers,

tedd

--