[nycphp-talk] Htaccess and php user account

Michele Waldman mmwaldman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 22:20:23 EST 2008

Justin,

I wouldn't stop using php.  It's still a useful language, but it runs as a
process on the server.  It's not build into server behavior.  I just
wouldn't use if to account security, personally.

I was on a virtual dedicated linux account with godaddy.  I know they have a
bad rep, but I'm under the impression they know how of configure a server
properly.

Also, here's the situation.  It was down for a short time before I
discovered it.  The likelihood of a hacker being on the site or sniffing the
site at that exact moment was fairly slim.  However, if it goes down and you
don't discover it, it would be a problem.

It's just something to keep in mind.  I would store data in a databasesand
passwords in a separate directory where http access has been revoked
entirely.  I do not put password in php, just in case.

Perhaps, there's a better way to configure the server, but the servers I use
have all been configured by the hosting provider.  Godaddy's not the only
one I've worked with, but you have very little way of knowing how different
providers have configured the shared accounts.

Michele

  _____