[nycphp-talk] CMS - Estimating Hours

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:23:34 EDT 2008

>  Re payment gateways, It's my understanding that the handling of credit
>  card transactions is done via the payment gateway's servers--i.e. if the
>  client has a merchant account (or pays for gateway services that provide
>  one for a fee), then all I need to be concerned with is that the
>  shopping cart can interface securely with the gateway?

That is correct, but if the shopping cart doesn't natively support
your gateway, well, then you've got some work to do.

Integration is where you're going to find the biggest headaches,
because then you'll have to get into custom module development for
Drupal, which isn't as bad as it sounds, but it is not something you
should do when you're "on the clock" and haven't tried it yet.

My first suggestion is to find out what is the MINIMUM feature set
your client is willing to launch with. It sounds like they want to
start an e-commerce store + some CMS features, perhaps the best place
to start would be:

http://drupal.org/project/ecommerce

In fact, you'll find there are  TON of well supported modules
available for Drupal, I'd hit up Google (drupal + <feature you're
researching>) before attempting to create anything from stratch.

- jake