[nycphp-talk] mbstring.dll not found

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sat May 17 16:39:31 EDT 2008

David Krings wrote:
> Tim Gales wrote:
>>> solved. Thank you very much for the help. Any idea why that works
>>> and having it in the specified extension directory doesn't?
>>>
>> It has to do with the 'dll search order' Windows uses.
>> Typically the order is:
>>     1) the same directory as the executable.
>>     2)  the  system  directory
>>     3) directories found in the 'path' environment variable
>>
>> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx
>> for the complete 'run down' on 'start up' order
>> (in Windows you click 'Start' to say you're finished and want to shut
>> down)
>
> But why then do I need to specify an extension directory in php.ini if
> it is not used by php.exe as the primary source for extensions? Just
> asking, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about problems that are
> already solved.
try reading:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=39316

I would suggest that you add your extension directory to your path
and move any dll's that start with 'php_' to the extension directory.
(at least don't put php_*.dll's in the system directory to solve a
dll search order problem)

> Especially since new problems come about, such as that the php-cgi.exe
> crashes often. Anyone knows if running PHP on 64bit Windows is not a
> good idea?

You might want to download 'Dependency Walker' from
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Open up php-cgi.exe with 'Dependency Walker' and look for unresolved
symbols.
(trying to run anything with unresolved symbols is 'not a good idea')

Happy hunting...

--

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com