[nycphp-talk] mbstring.dll not found

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat May 17 19:28:53 EDT 2008

Tim Gales wrote:
> David Krings wrote:
>> Tim Gales wrote:
  > I would suggest that you add your extension directory to your path
> and move any dll's that start with 'php_' to the extension directory.
> (at least don't put php_*.dll's in the system directory to solve a
> dll search order problem)

Done!

>> Especially since new problems come about, such as that the php-cgi.exe
>> crashes often. Anyone knows if running PHP on 64bit Windows is not a
>> good idea?
>>
> You might want to download 'Dependency Walker' from
> http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>
> Open up php-cgi.exe with 'Dependency Walker' and look for unresolved
> symbols.
> (trying to run anything with unresolved symbols is 'not a good idea')
>
> Happy hunting...

Found a suspect. After fixing the most obvious DLL issues I came across the
dwmapi.dll not existing on non-Vista systems. Since that is related to IE7 I
switched browsers for development (forgot to do that anyway), but even after
firefoxerizing the whole thing php-cgi.exe still crashes and blames it on
php5ts.dll, which apparently doesn't work right on x86_64 systems. Since there
is no fix for this yet as it seems using PHP on 64 bit Windows systems is a no
go. Very disappointing!

I will check if that is really 64 bit related by running a 32 bit version in a
VM, but that doesn't really help since I run 64bit Windows on my "production"
server, which may also be the reason why the system is so flaky.

Maybe that is a reason to switch to Linux, but at the moment there is not a
single distro that I think is fit for general consumption. Also disappointing.

I'll post my findings when available. So far, thanks for all the help.

David