[nycphp-talk] PHP hosting and standard tool-chain for newbie?

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:34:56 EDT 2009

2009/4/23 Peter Sawczynec <ps at blu-studio.com>:
> This list tends to beat up on Dreamweaver all the time. But, note I am
> not suggesting that Dreamweaver is to be used to code or manage complex
> PHP web applications.
>
> But for creating web sites / web pages, I have not come across a better
> turned out user interface than Dreamweaver.

Mozilla Composer was my personal favorite. All of the editing features
and a clean professional GUI, for free. Wrote beautiful code, too.

I'm currently converting a site with ~400 obsessively Dreamweavered
pages, and I'm seeing spaghetti code that makes MSHTML look
in every possible nesting combination. And I can't just tidy out the
font tags, because font size was used instead of <h2> and <h3> for
headings.

Dreamweaver's main strength, to me, was its ftp client. Much easier to
use than WS_FTP or Fetch or even modern clients like WinSCP or
Transmit. But as an editor for markup? Harmful.