[nycphp-talk] Java provides???

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Aug 12 07:34:31 EDT 2009

Leam Hall wrote:
> Gang, I'll confess that I'm happy to support Java as it provides lots of
> reasons to upgrade hardware and buy newer/faster machines. However, from
> a systems engineering standpoint, I'm baffled by the recurring
> inefficiency of hundreds of corporate programmers...
>
> What does Java provide that PHP can't do faster and with lighter
> resource usage?

Don't know in detail, but my guess is that PHP is thought of about to be a
pure web only scripting language where as Java is more for desktop
applications or the like. In typical use you need a web server for PHP, for
Java you don't. That said, I am well aware that you can use PHP to write
non-web and even desktop applications.
One other reason could be that Java is used to torture CS students, while PHP
is poopooed as something script kiddies use. Same question can be asked about
ASP.NET, that in no way does anything better than PHP, especially not performance.

I attended a Java course at university and eventually dropped out and changed
majors. I did ANSI C before and that was already more painful than necessary.
Java topped that by a mile. I have no idea why developers pick Java. I find it
kludgey and the development tools stink, but apparently it is good enough to
bring us awesome software like OpenOffice. For years I always found that I
hate programming and programming hates me...until I came across PHP. It just
makes sense (OK, except for some of the date functions that were written half
by Americans and half by Europeans using their date format respectively).

Any other reasons? Java is Sun and PHP is, hmmmm, Zend? Na, there are plenty
others. Java is Eclipse and PHP is, hmmmmm, can think of three or four great
IDEs from freebie (Waterproof) to we charge you for every dot release
(NuSphere). Nobody gets fired for using Java or .NET....unless you are hired
to do PHP I could see that it is a tough sell to the mindless preventors of IT
services.

David