[nycphp-talk] Caching, proxies, sharding and other scaling questions

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:25:21 EDT 2009

Whats your data size like? How many requests per second do you plan on
handling?

The easiest route for switching some of your data store routines from
a relational database to a key/value store (memcache is nice,
personally, I'm becoming a big fan of Redis) is to set up a single
instance and see how it handles the load. For example, with modern
hardware, value look up from a single, untaxed instance of memcache
should take around 1ms. At a certain point, based almost entirely on
traffic, that'll go up. When it gets to an undesirable level, throw in
another memcache instance and hash the keys to spread the load (or
allow your memcached client to hash the keys for you). Continue this
until some other bottleneck rears its head.

- jake