[nycphp-talk] Frameworks & Fast Iterations

Petros Ziogas petros.ziogas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:25:04 EDT 2009

Actually I am referring to those exact features.
Zend decided to change the way a project is deployed using Zend Bootstrap,
Loader and Zend Tool.

So suddenly all documentation refers to code that looks completely different
than the code I wrote 6 months ago.

Zend has done a great job documenting all their classes but simply leaves
out the proccess of gluing those parts together. As I was developing a site
in 1.6 I managed to read my way through it and finally get the framework to
start and my classes to communicate and autoload. After that it was just PHP
as usual and I loved it.

So I get back to develop something completely different and I realise that
on 1.8 there is Bootstrap and Loader that completely change the way a
project should start. Also I must use a command line tool to add actions.
And the documentation just fails to mention what I can do if I don't want to
use Zend Tool. So now I have to read again to find out what Zend wants me to
do to get the application of the ground.Thank God there are people bloging
about it.

In my opinion changing the fundamental details that makes a framework
difficult to use, is a very bad move, and to be honest I thought that Zend
would do better than that.

Most challenging thing on Zend is to find out how to start (Bootstrap) and
get a simple page up showing (View) a database record (Db) to people that
have access to it (Auth and Acl). If you change a great part of that every 6
months what's the point?

note: I think there is great potential in using frameworks that is why I
used Zend framework and will use it again. I am just a little frustrated
these days with Zend_Tool and Bootstraping.

Petros Ziogas
http://www.royalblue.gr