[nycphp-talk] [0T] Verizon FIOS -- comments?

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Mon May 18 16:56:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Joseph Crawford wrote:

> I have had FIOS for the last year 20/20 for the first few months and
> then I dropped down to 20/5 because 20/20 was more than I needed.
> I have loved it and dreaded ever relocating to an area where FIOS is
> not available.  I have had almost 0 downtime.

Probably because not many people can get it. Not widely available in
Manhattan yet...

BTW, several years ago the rules changed so that local telco's dont have
to share fiber like they do for copper (very monopoly-friendly). But it
seems Verizon has made a deal with DSL Extreme for wholesale fiber, so
they are the first company to offer second-tier fiber.

https://www.dslextreme.com/Services/Internet/Fiber/Default.aspx

Don't know if they have any facilities in NYC though.

--
Aj.