[nycphp-talk] How much is a site redesign worth?

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Sat Apr 2 10:16:52 EDT 2011

Jake,

I agree totally, however the market won't bear those rates.  1099 income
is subject to deductions for home office, travel expenses, meal expenses
and the like and as such, has greater tax benefits than W2 income.  In
actuality, in localities where there are few engineers, rates are
higher.  NYC is packed to the gills with engineers seeking work.  A post
on NYC Craig's List for a programmer nets 1,000 resumes in one DAY.
Between the high cost of living and the low rates due to high
concentration of available skilled workers, NYC's not a great place to
be a programmer, for sure.

Believe me when I tell you, if there was any way for me to get more than
$50/hr, I would have found it.  I loathe the situation and am looking to
leave the field entirely in the near future.  For now, I slog it out and
take what I can get.

Kristina