[nycphp-talk] talk Digest, Vol 71, Issue 6

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:58:50 EDT 2012

Hi Nick.

Is there enough memory available on the 64-bit server compared to the
32-bit one? I ask because I had a similar situation recently which happen
to be on a 64-bit CentOS server. I had a PHP program parse data and
populate a MySQL table. It ran very slowly, and I found out the PHP program
to make a long story short had a memory leak. There was hardly any free RAM
available and the server was using swap which it almost never does. After I
resolved the memory leak situation MySQL was still crawling so I stopped
and started MySQL, and it was back to normal.

I don't know if this is related to the problem you are experiencing, but I
never had a slow down like this before and the root cause was the memory
issue. I used MySQL out-of-the-box I didn't look into any sort of
performance tuning on this server. It's my server I use for development so
I'm the only one on it.

David Roth