[nycphp-talk] Relax your password rules

Federico Ulfo rainelemental at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:55:44 EDT 2014

I share the same feeling on too pretending password rules:
"Your password must contain a capital letter, a number, an emoji, 8
elements from the periodic table and a plot containing a protagonist with
some character development and a twist ending."

but I couldn't suggest to make password less restrictive and that's because
too often people use the same password just with a small variation.

A safer and easier solution is to offer Oauth with Google, Facebook or
Twitter. I personally prefer to use my social to log everywhere because
they're safe, (thanks 2 step auth!) and I don't have to use OnePassword, or
any mental trick to remember all my passwords.

So my suggestion is to implement a secure password policy and on top of
that implement Oauth.